|Mr. Snuggles and some of his cousins!|
First off, let me say a HUGE Thank You to all our friends and family who helped host the Wife and kids, who took time out of their lives to sit with them, talk, play, eat, go bowling, etc. This has been one of the best trips home we can remember - the kids have been loving the time with family and friends! Thank you - Thank you- Thank you for loving on my family!
But as always, there is never enough time to see everyone. And to those we didn't get time to see, maybe next year.
|The Cousins... Mr D is missing... hmmm...|
|Oh good, there he is!|
And no, it's not because of the weather.
And no, it's not because of the mosquitoes.
It's definitely not because I'm trying to avoid family or fiends.
It's a much simpler reason.
It's hard... and I'm a suck.
First, there is the Travel.
- My wife has had to travel (literally) half way around the world to get home.
- That's hard.
- That trip, was over 26 hours of straight traveling - that's 26 hours without your children in a bed. 26 hours with children who don't get to sleep or eat properly for over a full day.
- That's really hard.
- Now, do that with 4 children... alone.
- That's really really hard.
- And then, while you are by yourself and 4 children, deal with the 13 hour jet-lag.
- That's really really really hard.
- And then help all 4 children deal with their jet-lag, WHILE trying to keep them happy while visiting people.
- That's really really really really harder.
- NOW, add onto that living out of a suitcase for 4 weeks.
- That's harder.
- Living and sleeping in other peoples houses and basements for 4 weeks (remember when your kids were young, just trying to put them down for a nap in an unfamiliar room was hard) .
- That's really harder.
- Having to fit in so many visits and all the pressures to visit all the family and friends that you can in a super crazy busy jet-lagged I'm a single parent with 4 children trip as you can...
- That's really really harder.
- Add the 4 or 5 visits to the spinabifida doctors, the neurologists, urologists, mental development-ists, attachment disorder specialists et. al, and you've got yourself a very busy... very stressful trip home. Not to mention expensive, stressful and time consuming. Anyone ever have to wait 6 months to see a specialist? Yeah, now imagine trying to get (no less than) 5 specialists (per child * 2) to agree to see your children all in a 2 or 3 month period.
- That's hardest
- OH, and then there is actually that whole "we're serving overseas" and all the logistical stuff we have to do for that.
- That's har... well, actually, the medical stuff is harder.
- Ah, I also don't get to see my kids for like, I donno, 3, 4 or 5 months? Depending on when/if I get to see them in Canada or have to wait until they can return to China.
- That's... well, that just sucks.
- This is the yearly reminder for our children as to what they had to give up so that we could go overseas and try to help orphans in China. This is their trip home where they get to experience that loss all over again.
This is the one trip home when they get to see all the places they grew up loving, and then have to say goodbye again.
This is the one trip home when they can eat all the yummy food they love and miss, and then have to say goodbye again and return to chicken feet and pigs blood tofu.
This is the one trip home when they can see all their friends and family whom they love deeply, and then have to say goodbye all over again.
This is the one trip home when all of that hurt, loss and goodbyes are remember and lived... again.
|Did I mention they missed the Canadian food?|
When people come home, understand this is not an easy time for them. This is hard. We may not get to visit you all, or spend as much time with everyone as we would like, but we love you, miss you, and hope to see you again next time. But this is not easy for anyone right now, not a vacation, and definitely NOT easy. Did I mention it's NOT easy?
PS: Wife, you're a Super Awesome Cool Wolf Squadron RockStar for managing a trip half way around the world by yourself and 4 kids!!!
PPS: I made toast... and it was burnt.
PPPS: Wife, how do I use the clothes washer?